Thursday 17 September 2009

New Job

I recently applied for a full time job. Silly of me, I know. But, I had it in my head that maybe, perhaps, at a push I should go back to the work I was trained for, and qualified in, and have a lot of experience in. So, I duly applied for a job, within the bounds of a hospital (social work) but, was a tad worried that I might have to do a lot of walking about the place. Now, obv. this should not be a problem for a fairly fit, 50 something person, but you know I kinda have a disability and can't actually walk that far. Anyway, I was chatting with a couple of bods who I work with on a fostering panel, and one of them happened to mention that the uni were looking for practice teachers, and would I be interested? I nearly bit off her hand! Yay, my dream job, or what?!

I went along and had a couple of sessions around what the course entails, and what is expected of me, and it was like 'coming home' to something I just 'know.' And, the chance to talk 'grown up' talk of social work speak, ideas, practices, values etc that I have been missing in my work. Let's face it cooking up a storm, scrubbing pots and pans, as well as mopping floors and putting my hand down toilets (not all at the same time, you understand?) and getting a tin of biscuits for my Xmas box, just doesn't really cut it. Well, it wouldn't would it? But, that is not to say that I don't have 'grown up' conversations with my pals, I do, we do, but it will be great to do it in work-time time as well.

At the end of the student's 'Placement Learning Opportunity' I have to make my assessment of whether they will pass of fail. A heck of a load of responsibilty, but I really feel up to this challenge. The course director is impressed with my enthusiasm, and I must admit, I am too. Don't get me wrong, I am in the lucky position of doing work that I do enjoy, or I shall give it up. I have various jobs I do around the place, and work with some really lovely people. Those around me that are not lovely, I don't have to work with so I just ignore them.

It is a bit nerve-wracking as well, though - and so much reading! And these poor students! I am due to meet my first ones over the next few days, so let the challenge begin!

Reading: 'The Year of the Flood' - Margaret Attwood
Seen: 'Julia and Julie' - Meryll Streep is amazing in this, the best thing I've seen her in for ages
Thought for the day: 'What other people say about you behind your back, is none of your business!' I love it, and it is so true.
Studying: Social work, practice placement stuff and a map of the city, so I can find them there students!
Eating: the right things, after the wrong things brought back the IBS
Worrying about: Our friend, Paul, after his serious motorbike accident yesterday, thankfully he's made it through last night; and his wife, Gene. Our love, thoughts and hugs are with them. When Paul is recovered, Mr T will give him hell about avoiding foxes on the road, and sign him up to the anti-foxhunting league!

'Night, 'night. xx

2 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Hey wow - that's great! - the job news that is.

tea and cake said...

Thanks, Roobeedoo!