Saturday 2 May 2009

A new skill learned

Or, shall I say, attempted? Enjoyed, but not expert, shall we say, or just get on with it?

I recently went on a 'Machine Embroidery' weekend course with the rural (Scottish WI) and had a splendid time. The above is a go at printing my own fabric, by drawing on some calico with fabric crayons and ironing it through some baking parchment. I then laid on some bits and pieces of fabric, yarn and stuff, then lay over some netting. I then stitched pretty patterns in free embroider - then forget to take another photo!

Anyway, I had a fab time, did loads of work - on the Saturday the hours were 9 am - 10 pm, but even then didn't want to put it down and go to my bed!
We did so much and below is a picture of the sum of my weekend's learning. Not bad for a beginner, eh?



The course was held at Craibstone Agricultural College at Aberdeen, which is surrounded by woodland, so I was also able to have an early morning wander about. Which got my head into gear for the long, but interesting hours of getting to know my machine.

Trouble is, now my head is just buzzing with new ideas - the first of which will be a card I will make for my cousin's wedding on the 16th - using hot water disolving fabric. For which I have already bought the silver and varigated threads, collected my white netting - and will show you pictures when it is done.

This is after I have made my new dress, bag and fascinator! Yep, you heard it hear first.

11 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

That sounds interesting, and I can't wait to see the card you're planning! Ambitious plans for the outfit but why not?

Mel xxx

Some Chilean Woman said...

How fun! I need to get on the crafty train!

tea and cake said...

Shabby chick - I am Still plucking up the courage to cut out my dress, eek.
SCW - do, do!

Roobeedoo said...

That sounds like a fab weekend - the rural has certainly changed since my mother's day! A fascinator?! Oh wow! Show! Show!

tea and cake said...

Hi again Roobeedoo! I am just about to cast on the fascinator - watch this space and I will Show all.....

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

hello T & C. what a lovely lovely blog you have... i had so much fun reading your posts...
hope to keep coming back...
take care. do visit.

Amritorupa Kanjilal said...

thank you so much for the visit T & C. do you like haiku? if you do, there are other haiku and poems on my blog, you'll find the link to them on my sidebar. do tell me if you like them. and if you liked my blog, pls do become a follower so that i can share with you wenever i write.
i'll be back wenevr u write next.
new post, by the way :)

French Knots said...

Sounds like a fab course, I'd love to learn how to do machine embroidery - it always looks so artistic.

Probably Jane said...

Wow - sounds like a wonderful weekend, especially the way it has inspired you to so many new ideas. Can't wait to see what you create next.

Penny said...

Hope things are OK with you - I saw your comment on Roobeedoo's blog.

Take care

Penny

tea and cake said...

Hi Penny, yep things are okay, just been busy but will blog v.v. soon! Thank you for asking. x